<< Video interview with me published online! | The roads I take... | Integration eines Magento-2-Webshops mit FreeFinance und selbstgebautem Warenmanagement >>
Weekly Status Report, W17/2008 (+W15/W16)
Here's a summary of SeaMonkey/Mozilla-related work I've done in week 17/2008 (April 21 - 27, 2008), plus some notes about the weeks before:
- US Visit And Its Impacts:
I had a number of interesting conversations about Mozilla and SeaMonkey over in California and got to know a lot of people. I got no details to report here, but some things I discussed there might help us in the longer term.
Most of the work I did last week, following the two weeks in the US, was working the backlog of things I couldn't tend to in that time (and I still haven't started to read planet again).
- The Next SeaMonkey 1.1.x Release:
We had a number of discussions on IRC and newsgroups about Firefox 184.108.40.206 and its impact on SeaMonkey, i.e. if we should do another release with just that one fix that shipped in the Firefox update.
SeaMonkey releases are much more painful than Firefox releases, as we have no automated release process yet, no automated creation of localized builds, and no automated and/or partial update functionality - which all results in much higher efforts for developers, localizers and users to do another stability/security release.
As this crash doesn't seem to happen that often for SeaMonkey users and there's no proof that it could even be an exploitable security risk, we decided to better wait a few weeks and release a 1.1.10 with some more fixes in parallel with Firefox 220.127.116.11 (the usual interval to the next such release is 6 weeks).
People who really need a version with this fix can use 1.1.10pre nightlies for now, which should have no additional problem, but might have additional fixes. The big difference of those to a release is that they get less testing and have no release notes.
In parallel, we're working on getting SeaMonkey 2 ready for an alpha, which we hope to have within weeks now.
- German L10n:
Some small platform string updates were necessary, I also updated SeaMonkey L10n to be complete again on trunk.
- Various Discussions:
Thunderbird alpha, address book plans, California traveling followup work, etc.
Slightly more than a month ago, I requested people to help with triaging old unconfirmed suite bugs so that we know what issues we really need to look into and which are misfiled or meanwhile resolved. A few people, like Tony Mechelynck for example, have since dug through the list that had been at more than 1000 bugs and reduced it to currently just under 200 and still decreasing! Just look at the open bug graph for the suite product and you'll notice the large impact of their work!
Many thanks to everyone helping with this - I hope we can get even more old cruft out of the system so the real bugs get more visible and easier to deal with!
Entry written by KaiRo and posted on April 30th, 2008 16:26 | Tags: L10n, Mozilla, SeaMonkey, Status | no comments | TrackBack
No comments found.