Here's a summary of SeaMonkey/Mozilla-related work I've done in week 27/2008 (June 30 - July 6, 2008):
- SeaMonkey & Thunderbird on Mercurial:
This week, I did a lot more work on the test repository for SeaMonkey to get more build configurations working (see build instructions for how to do your own builds), a lot of this resulting from my setting up of buildbots on the SeaMonkey trunk tinderbox machines, so those can take over from the cvs-bound tinderbox clients when we switch to hg (the calemaisu-test nightlies that pop in the SeaMonkey FTP dir are from those, test with care, and notify me of problems with them but don't file bugs).
We also settled on a name for that new repository, and comm-central was created as a toplevel repository on hg.mozilla.org quite fast.
Additionally, my patches for some bugs in mozilla-central could be checked in, so our test repo now builds with an out-of-the-box mozilla-central checkout.
If you want to build Lightning with that repo, you still need a few calendar/ patches, see the build instructions and/or the tracking bug.
We still need testing of more uncommon build configurations, and running of all test suites (I only have looked into TUnit, but not into ref/crash/mochitests yet) - and the release of Shredder Alpha 2 before we are ready to do the switch.
Watch the comm-central activation bug to be notified on the switch when it happens - or read this blog.
- SeaMonkey Status Meetings:
We held our first SeaMonkey status meeting, where we decided that fully localized builds, and therefore password and download manager reworks are no hard alpha blockers, only finishing the preference window migration is. We also got status reports from a number of people doing active work, see the meeting notes for details. The next such meeting is on July 15 at 12:00 UTC in #seamonkey.
- SeaMonkey Releases:
While SeaMonkey 1.1.10 was released almost on schedule on July 2nd, I immediately started over the release process for SeaMonkey 1.1.11, which is target for July 15 (candidate builds are already available). This release will sync us up with the Firefox 3.0.x security release cycles, mainly containing a fix for the zero-day vulnerability found in Firefox 3, as well as a small collection of other security fixes.
I know that with not having partial updates, such short release cycles are a pain, but I hope we can avoid those in the future for SeaMonkey 1.1.x - this time it would both have been bad to not have fixed out in sync with the disclosure of critical vulnerabilities in both Gecko 220.127.116.11 (SeaMonkey 1.1.9) and Gecko 18.104.22.168 (SeaMonkey 1.1.10), so we need(ed) to ship updates with those fixes on both near-to-each-other Gecko release dates.
Lots of discussions about the 1.9.1 L10n story, esp. if we should have one repo per language or one repo per language and product (I prefer the former).
- Various Discussions:
Session (re)store, oranges due to non-ideal testcases, abook refactoring, (less) painful mac universal builds, OS X abook support, shellservice UI, removing old localized nightlies, German Windows installer, Code Rush, Thunderbird 3 planning, etc.
It's good to see how much is actually going on in the SeaMonkey world, as one can see on the notes of the status meeting - I'm pretty confident we'll get an alpha soon, still this summer, and it probably will even be already based on a Gecko 1.9.1-pre-version and our hg repository. Stay tuned and help us getting even farther down this road!