Here's a summary of SeaMonkey/Mozilla-related work I've done in week 07/2010 (February 15 - 21, 2010):
Released SeaMonkey 2.0.3 on Wednesday - finished up release notes, pushed files, updated the website, created and sent announcements, pushed update snippets to the release channel. Everything seems to have worked fine there and people should have a better SeaMonkey 2 now.
Unfortunately, my website updates caused a temporary website glitch but I could fix it fast when it happened.
- Build Infrastructure:
After we dropped 1.9.2 and I turned off the experimental builds we had running with that tree, I turned on Mac and Windows debug builds instead, I found a slight infrastrcuture issue with this and created a patch for that issue.
Most of the new Mac machines are here and working now, I integrated them into the build pool and they are working really fine - faster than any other Mac machines we have!
I could also turn on the first few tests on trunk after those machines joined, and it looks like Mac is (mostly) consistent with Linux there.
One of the new machines still is not really available, once that is online, we'll drop the old VMs and replace them with more Linux and Windows machines on Parallels.
As I did the initial work to get places history to work in SeaMonkey, I feel some affinity with this module. I had done a patch for the new expiration changes earlier, and now as we're only supporting 1.9.3 and higher on trunk, I could land that patch finally.
I also started to look into places bookmarks support and promptly found that HTML import/export is Firefox-specific code right now, but me and places developers agreed that it should move to toolkit. My current local work is mostly ripping off large portions of Firefox code, the cleanup parts will come once things mostly do actually work.
- Build System:
I filed bugs on killing 1.9.2 support after we made that decision, and like so many other build system work recently, Serge came up with patches for those. I also reviewed a few build system patches, most of them again from Serge, but including a few others, like OS/2 packaging support.
- German L10n:
Michael Opitz did another help fix which I could check in.
- Various Discussions:
2.1 decision for 1.9.3, Gecko 184.108.40.206 and SeaMonkey 1.x EOL, upgrade to 2.0.3, web form management, EOL for Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" on 1.9.3, (not) branching comm-1.9.2, "human-readable" pushlog feeds, etc.
After the SeaMonkey 2.1 Gecko decision
, I think we're now on a good way to getting actual progress on our code for this next version. Following the platform, we unfortunately will have to drop support for Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" as well in that release, but we hope that Mozilla 1.9.1 and therefore SeaMonkey 2.0.* will be maintained long enough to get a large amount of those users transition to newer systems - if they can't afford new hardware, they should possibly look into converting their system to Linux, which is being maintained and which we can support more easily as well.
While we can't change those platform decisions, we can change our own code, and we are currently starting to work on more and more parts of it for this future version - and your help is wanted to improve it even further!