A couple of days ago I tried my first Mozilla compile ever, with SeaMonkey (off comm-central since 1.9.1 repositories are not publicly accessible), and it went remarkably well for a first try (thanks to Ben Smedberg, Gary Kwong, and the authors of the MDC Build Documentation, plus of course the whole SeaMonkey team). I've been playing a little with the browser component on a fresh profile, with no problems so far. However I don't know if I'll do another own-compile because the make took about 12 hours on my machine (a full configure and build from scratch, and not on a dedicated machine, so I preferred not to parallelize the make). Of course I'll want to know how well the mailer works before I make the big jump to using Sm2.1 (probably the Mozilla-buit executable) with my day-to-day profile (maybe define my POP servers with "leave mail on server", possibly also all or part of the feeds, maybe the NNTP news or maybe not, and temporarily neglect the 8-emails-a-week Movemail account). Any statistics on how many people are already using Sm2.1 for mail & news (and POP mail in particular, if it can be told apart from IMAP)?
<< Weekly Status Report, W16/2010 | The roads I take... | Integration eines Magento-2-Webshops mit FreeFinance und selbstgebautem Warenmanagement >>
Weekly Status Report, W17/2010
- Context Menu:
I did some more work on the context menu test and related accesskeys to fix Windows failures and cover some additional cases, and filed followups for selection tests and potentially hiding items.
I had been stumbling over the "Bookmark This Page" and similar items of the context menu in earlier work, and now tried to fix that up to work correctly with places bookmarks, when I noticed I needed a reference to the browser element there. This led me to vastely re-styling nsContextMenu.js code to match current coding and whitespace styles.
- Bugzilla Cleanup:
After a few weeks of discussion, I finally performed the proposed bug expiration - with the exception of help bugs - and switched almost exactly 2000 bugs in that move, leading to a massive decrease in bugs that need manual triage.
- Project Organization:
Anticipating our Alpha 1 code freeze on May the 4th (today!), I poked responsible people on getting new-style flags for SeaMonkey 2.1 - thanks to Reed and Dave for their massive help there!
Once we had the flags, I used them to triage blocking and wanted requests and ported all old 2.1a1 flag usages over to the new ones.
In this last week before the mentioned freeze, we had a number of compile bustages from mozilla-central work, accidentally. I discussed those and tried to get someone to fix them, which succeeded in the end. Thanks to Bas, Standard8, and everyone else who helped there!
I worked on fixing a few bugs in the places bookmarks patch set, stumbling over the above-mentioned context menu thing there, and succeeding on getting rid of some, but I need to do more work there.
Next to that, I closely followed some exciting work going on in places (de-XBL of toolbars and menus and modularizing transactions), which will need porting to our side once they land.
- German L10n:
I did lots of updates for German L10n, bringing core and SeaMonkey trunk to green state for a short time.
- Various Discussions:
Account Manager, Mnenhy, "site" vs. "web site" vs. "website", SeaMonkey 2.0 interview series, comm-1.9.2 branching, drumbeat catchphrases, hackers and posters, Summit, preparations for upcoming releases, new add-ons manager, etc.
I've been trying Account Manager this week, and interestingly it installed right away for SeaMonkey and even works somewhat! Of course, it's in a completely experimental state and doesn't do much yet as well as doesn't work with many sites right now, but that should change over time. Even when it still was "Weave Identity", I already found its ideas quite compelling, and I hope we'll be able to continue to have it working as well as possible with SeaMonkey even when it grows up as a Firefox project.
In other news related to Weave and SeaMonkey, I'm mentoring a Google Summer of Code project on Weave Sync engines for tabs and mailnews status for SeaMonkey this year, and had the first planning talks with Harini Sirisena on how we'll proceed with this. You can also follow Harini's blog to see what's going on in her project. Having your tabs from Firefox (desktop or mobile) or another SeaMonkey installations available on your SeaMonkey is surely nice (and almost there already anyhow), having the read status of feed entries and newsgroup messages as well as possibly message tags being synched up between installations would be really cool though and is the actual goal here.
Entry written by KaiRo and posted on May 4th, 2010 19:09 | Tags: L10n, Mozilla, SeaMonkey, Status | 4 comments