Here's a summary of SeaMonkey/Mozilla-related work I've done in week 25/2010 (June 21 - 27, 2010):
Finally pushed SeaMonkey 2.0.5 in parallel to Firefox 3.5.10 (and 3.6.4, but that one and it's immediate update 3.6.6 ship the new "out of process plugins" feature, which we can't have in 2.0 and need to do a lot of work for if we want it in 2.1).
I also started the build process for SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 2, resulting in candidate builds that are up for testing now - but we have one or two bugs we need to decide if we can ship with them.
- Packaging, Notifications, Tabbrowser:
In 2.1a2 work, I realized we failed to remove a file on updates, and fixed that for the future.
When the new notification system landed for Firefox, I immediately went and ported "doorhanger" notifications to SeaMonkey, this work went through a number of iterations, Neil as a reviewer, Gavin as the Firefox/toolkit developer and me are in continuous discussions to make things work best for all of us.
The places icons work I started as a followup to bookmarks has not just been separated, but landed in itself already for 2.1a2, making our tabbrowser more compatible with Firefox' and making icons in the history window work.
Trying the test for doorhanger notifications made me aware of another tabbrower API difference that caused failures in the mochitest-browser-chrome suite, and so I fixed that by renaming mTabs to tabs, and that patch also made 2.1a2 still.
- Data Manager:
The currently available version on AMO is still 0.7, progress has been relatively slow as I mostly did look into other things this week, but I should be able to ship another 0.* update soon that will react to cookie and password changes correctly.
My efforts to get connected with Firefox people thinking in similar directions didn't get far, though, I might do some pings on IRC when I get around to it.
Updated places bookmarks locally for a few changes in Firefox code, I'll upload new patches and try builds this week probably, until then, please continue testing the current try builds.
- German Localization:
I synchronized the German localization with trunk to be able to get a language pack out for 2.1a2 - and that looks good so far!
- Various Discussions:
XPCOM changes, tabs on top, perma-oranges, Mozilla security bug bounties, upcoming reporter removal/replacement, UA strings, findbar for SeaMonkey, Sync landing, Mercurial upgrade and tool bustages, L20n file format, developer tools, HUD naming, Firefox UI changes, etc.
I took some time this week to spend at the said-to-be largest open air festival in Europe, the "Donauinselfest
" (danube island festival) here in Vienna, but I hope I still could get some good work done.
Also, it looks like SeaMonkey 2.1 Alpha 2 will show off a few good new features
but will really be more of alpha quality than some of our other quite high-quality milestones. As usage of the previous is also not excessive, I think it might just be good to get this out for testing rather than respinning it too much, but we'll probably decide on that on the upcoming SeaMonkey Meeting