<< Music | The roads I take... | Weekly Status Report, W12/2012 >>

Weekly Status Report, W11/2012

Here's a short summary of Mozilla-related work I've done in week 11/2012 (March 12 - 18, 2012):

I spent a lot of time in the last few days getting my new HP laptop set up, and am pretty satisfied so far, esp. when it comes to running Linux on it, but I had a couple of WTFs with Windows. First, this machine has a 128 GB SSD as its only internal disk, and in the default setup it came with, Windows 7 took slightly over 40 of those, 20 more taken by a recovery and a HP tools partition, so roughly half of the drive space was not available for use in that default configuration! I couldn't find good clues on how I could shrink down the existing Windows installation (all the tools and software installed were not really that big after all), and given that HP had sent a 32bit and a 64bit Windows system DVD with the package, I wiped the SSD completely and did set up (openSUSE) Linux first, which worked like a charm and could run all the hardware out of the box - and everything is incredibly fast, compared to my previous, roughly 4-year-old machine. When I installed Win7 64bit from the DVD, it again took more space than expected, with somewhat over 20 GB for the system alone and that when it didn't even find drivers for the vast majority of the hardware, including Ethernet and WiFi, (Iron Lake) graphics, or the USB 3 ports. It took me lots of searching, using a USB stick to get network drivers onto the machine, and more searching for stuff like disabling hibernation and page files to get that secondary system to work reasonably and use a somewhat acceptable amount of disk space. While a full-fledged (64-bit) Linux with all kinds of applications takes a bit over 5 GB of space now, I could get Windows 7 Professional 64-bit down to slightly under 20 GB only with a real lot of searching around. Well, at least it works now for the occasional Firefox testing or even playing Age of Empires II (after again searching around how to get its colors fixed, which requires strange workarounds like killing Windows Explorer).
I remember when it was hard to get Linux to work decently and Windows was fine and problem-less (well, it was never small, though), esp. with new hardware it was sometimes hard to get Linux to work decently at all while it was easy to get stuff up on Windows. I must admit that the times have visibly changed. So, when did they say the year of the Linux desktop was coming? ;-)

Entry written by KaiRo and posted on March 19th, 2012 23:04 | Tags: L10n, Mozilla, SeaMonkey, Status | 2 comments | TrackBack

Comments

AuthorEntry

Ratty

from Sol III

quote
XPLite
There used to be 98lite and a XPlite utilities to slim down the installation size. A quick google brings up vLite for Vista and RT Se7en Lite for Windows 7.
2012-03-20 06:18

Marto

quote
Hi KaiRo,

some time ago I reduced my Windows system size with Gparted and this nice guide ( http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-gparted-to-resize-your-windows-vista-partition/ ) . Even though it seems to address just Windows Vista, the guide's title also points to Windows 7. In my case I run it over Windows Vista and ... it worked like a really charm, I recovered many GBs.

Regards.
2012-03-21 10:34

Add comment